Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Movin' On Up

I think I have big news. Back in this post, I mentioned that I was helping to clean out my grandmother's house. Well, part of the reason for that is because I'm going to be moving into the house. Yup, I am moving! Long story (involving the insurance company, estates, wills and the whatnot) short, my father offered me the house rent free, in exchange for helping to fix it up and sort of becoming a "caretaker", and paying utilities and some other costs. So, barring any unforeseen disasters, I'll be moving up there some time around late October. This all happened pretty fast and I still haven't really wrapped my head around the idea that I'm moving out, or that I'll have an entire house to myself, or that I'll be living alone for the first time ever.....or any of it really. But, I think I'm excited about it! The situation is a little bittersweet for everyone in my dad's family, but they all seem to be excited for me, and happy that we're finally going to move forward with fixing up the house. It's gonna be a LOT of work....a LOT. But I never realized what an amazing house it really is. I think it was built around the 20's or 30's, and it has great character and some amazing details. I can't wait to start posting all of the before and after pictures, and more stuff that I find as we clean up.

For now, here's some pictures of the exterior of the house. Landscaping is pretty much number one on our to do list, because it has just gotten completely out of control. Once that's done, it's on to painting...can't wait to pick the colors!


The massive fir tree that completely took over one side of the house....


SUCH a difference once it was gone!


An absolute jungle in the back....about 30 years worth of overgrown plants and ivy. The ivy completely covers all of the windows in the back of the house, and according to neighbors, hundreds of birds live inside...


Somewhere back there is a driveway, garage, and adorable balcony...

No comments:

Post a Comment