Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tree Hugger

Forgive me for being such a terrible blogger! I have had a mental block for the past week, so I'm just going to ease back into this with a post that doesn't really need much explanation......because this place is just that awesome. I'm sure any of you hardcore arch/design fans have probably already seen this, but I couldn't help but post it here, if only so that I could marvel at its amazingness one more time. The first time I saw these pictures, I just thought it was some architecture students conceptual thesis or something, but it actually is real......



The Yellow Tree House Restaurant in Auckland, New Zealand is not only a piece of architectural genuis, it actually has kind of an interesting story behind it. The entire project was actually a very elaborate marketing plan developed by Yellow Pages, to prove that you could complete an task imaginable by using their resources to find everything you need. They recruited a fun local blogger to take on the challenge, and it actually came to fruition. Apparently, it is completely booked throughout the time it will actually remain a functioning restaurant, before being converted into public space, available for function rentals. (Ok, so I guess that sort of was an explaination, but whatevs)





I just love the concept and shape of this project - the organic nature of the architecture allows the restaurant to somehow fit in with its surroundings. Not to mention it's like an adult version of the bad ass treehouse everyone wanted as a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment